[haiku-development] Re: Researching before mailing (was: Banning)

  • From: Lucian Adrian Grijincu <lucian.grijincu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 19:02:11 +0300

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 6:16 PM, Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> A while back, I filed an enhancement ticket for searching all of the
> ML's  : http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/4629

At my faculty we needed a tool to search MLs for our Operating Systems
courses (with archives 5+ years long).

We tried a few options:
* google custom search - sucks a lot!
* xapian/omega - not a very usable interface - students complained about it
* two other tools I can't remember right now

We settled with Lurker: http://lurker.sourceforge.net/

Our lists: http://cursuri.cs.pub.ro/lurker/splash/index.en.html
An example mailing list collection:
http://archives.free.net.ph/splash/index.html

It can search in a single list, in all or in groups of lists and has
all sorts of search criteria (date, subject, author, etc.)

It doesn't seem to have a big performance impact.

I have no idea how it can be integrated to work with IRC chats, or web
sites or other, but it would be a step forward from from
freelists.org's google custom search.

--
 .
..: Lucian