[haiku-development] Re: Researching before mailing (was: Banning)

  • From: Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 16:54:30 +0200

On 2010-05-15 at 14:03:48 [+0200], Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx >
wrote:
Me too, I have been accused of having wasted the OP's time by posting
a question on this mailing list that he felt obliged to answer (after
having unsuccessfully searched the Internet).
[...]
Since you sum it up like that, I guess my point didn't come across as I intended. In short it is that I expect from someone who has already shown some promising contributions and apparently intends to work on a rather challenging task to exhaust his available tools to get information before
hitting the mailing list.

Large mailing lists simply involve too much overhead, as mails are forced upon all subscribers. Unlike IRC, BTW. That's really something everyone
should have in mind before writing a mail.

You're free to, and I still stand by my point. I am guilty of not having Google-searched for Mercurial rebasing functionality. But in this particular advanced-Haiku case the point is that Google just gave you zero helpful results. (Now in this case hopefully my blog and the new Guide.) That's because, in order to keep Trac alive, it was decided to ban bots from dev.haiku-os.org via robots.txt. Nor is apparently the Swedish OpenGrok-based site included in search engine results. You obviously know many things Haiku, and knowing where to search is certainly among them. If everyone knew that, there would be no place for "the Googles".

For me it takes hours researching with grep, gEdit and dprintf which code paths are taken in the kernel and in which order certain init functions are called. On the other hand I can quickly retrieve info on tickets in certain areas because I have some handy pre-defined queries two clicks away and I don't mind taking those few seconds. That's the essence of a community - everyone has its (small) area to contribute to. If you think a question is a waste of (your) time, don't answer it right away, someone else might do that with a smile. A felt 50% of the messages on mono-list are "How do I install xyz on Ubuntu?", which is tiring to me, so like most people I will ignore them and they still get answered. Just like Linux-centric mailing lists get bunches of maybe-40-patch series with one or two replies (note the lim(OP ratio) - > 100% ;)), of which one may be "Applied, thanks", which don't touch your area of expertise or interest. I just live with it.

On the other hand I don't have an IRC client on OpenSolaris (where I do my ppc development), and my chosen user name was recently rejected according to Colloquy - no idea why, I'm not too familiar with the technology. The problem with IRC from my POV is that it doesn't allow for time-shifted answers on such advanced topics, there's a lot of jitter (no clear threads and many funny but off-topic comments) and thus archiving the answers you're interested in is much more inconvenient than your local email inbox.

Back on the topic of researching, might it be possible to loosen the robots.txt so that /ticket/* gets indexed and just /browser/* is blocked and to have a checked out copy of the /haiku/trunk source tree available for indexing elsewhere?

Andreas