[haiku-development] Re: Request to work on newer buildtools integration (GCC/Binutils)

  • From: Joseph Prostko <joe.prostko+haiku@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 12:52:11 -0400

2009/10/30 Jérôme Duval <korli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Fine with me too. I was wondering though if it would be possible to
> not impact the buildtools trunk before it is tested and working with
> Haiku. Maybe a branch could first host the merge/patch phase to 4.4.

Yeah, I think this is the best course of action, because this jump
isn't quite so trivial due to the additional dependencies involved.
Basically, all of the pieces mentioned in my initial email kind of
need to be done all at once (for the most part) due to a slightly
different directory structure that will be required, along with
different/additional scripting.  If I were to work in a branch, then
once all of the pieces are completed, it can then all be committed to
trunk at the same time when it's ready.  I think if I worked on
buildtools trunk directly, things wouldn't turn out so well, unless I
did a really strategic approach.  Maybe if I had every last patch
completely done and was really familiar with subversion, then that
path would be worth considering, but I think it's too risky for this
upgrade.

For future buildtools upgrades after this one, I think working on the
buildtools trunk directly would be fine, since all of the pieces would
already be in place, and only simple patches should be required...in
theory, anyways.  :)

- joe