[haiku-development] Re: Removing /boot/common

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 12:09:48 -0400

This may or may not be the best place to say this, but regarding
"splitting up" related packages, I would like to put a big -10000000
vote on that whole idea.

As an example, I hate, hate, hate, hate how Debian-based Linux distros
have a bunch of Ruby packages, where you have a core ruby package, and
then irb (the interactive interpreter), then rdoc (class
documentation), and then who knows what else. In every other sane
system all those are just considered part of Ruby and are all
together. Splitting them up is stupid and unnecessary, and just
creates more work for both packagers and users.

I'm not sure what you are splitting out with Git, but is there any
chance we can avoid this at all costs?

Having normal and devel packages is bad enough.

--
Regards,
Ryan