[haiku-development] Re: Remembering window positions

  • From: Donn Cave <donn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 10:45:31 -0700 (PDT)

Quoth Axel, <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> Am 18/03/2013 17:11, schrieb John Scipione:
>> If I do one by one this way I'll create a bunch of settings files in
>> home/config just for storing window positions... this seems less than
>> elegant to me. I'm hoping for a more thoughtful solution to this
>> problem.
>
> Most applications already have a settings file, and it's usually not a
> problem to add to that.
> Another issue is that it doesn't make sense for many windows to store
> their position in the first place. If you're not a developer that works
> on it, you open settings windows maybe every few months -- why on earth
> should it remember the position beyond the runtime of the application?

I like a separate file - so if the main settings file is
config/settings/app/config, then we're talking about
config/settings/app/geom

This way I'm not regularly overwriting the main settings file, so its
last modification date represents a `real' settings change and perhaps
there are other advantages not regularly messing with it.  But at best
that's a fine point.  To me, writing this information in plain text to
an ordinary configuration file is transparent and indeed elegant.

        Donn