[haiku-development] Recommend Motherboard and Video Card?

  • From: "Michael Crawford" <mdcrawford@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 00:01:30 -0700

Hi Again,

As I said in a previous message, I plan to write a Haiku driver for an
as-yet unnamed PCI express card.

I need a motherboard with at least *two* 8-lane PCIe slots.  I'm not
picky about the other slots.

Can you recommend a motherboard and PCIe video card that are already
known to work well with Haiku?

It will be hard enough to write my own driver, so I don't want to have
to deal with other hardware or drivers that could give me trouble.

I don't need a fancy video card - I'm not a gamer.

A quick look suggests that my budget would allow a Xeon Core Quad.
Ideally I'd like a second socket so I could add another Core Quad
later on.

Also perhaps you can suggest good eCommerce sites for PC component
shopping.  It's been years since I've bought a new PC so I'm not
up-to-date with the sites that are available.

I'm in the US, so eCommerce sites that are also in the US would be best for me.

Thanks!

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford
mdcrawford at gmail dot com

   Enjoy my art, photography, music and writing at
http://www.geometricvisions.com/
        --- Free Compact Disc ---