[haiku-development] Re: Read-only Directory problems

  • From: Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 May 2015 07:41:40 +0200

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 01:42:49PM -0700, Pete Goodeve wrote:

OK. You've been asking for examples of why the read-only hierarchy
and the removal of common breaks things. Here's one, that has me
fairl y firmly blocked at the moment.

I make extensive use of Ruby, and have a number of libraries of
my own that are used by my apps. The Ruby standard is that
they should go in .../lib/ruby/site-ruby, but under PM this is
installed in /boot/system/lib and is read-only! Ruby does not
know about the 'non-packaged' tree.

As I've still been mostly using my pre-PM system (:-/) -- with
the libraries in /boot/common -- it hasn't hit me 'til now, but I've
just been making an effort to get everything working in hrev49167,
and this has brought me up short.

It is not appropriate to put these libraries in packages,
because they are always in flux. I need to be able to edit them
quickly and in place.

So what to do?

We patched Python to have site-packages in a writable location and a
separate vendor-package in our package directories. We would need to do
the same for Ruby.

Please open a bug report about this at haikuports so we can fix the Ruby
port.

--
Adrien.