[haiku-development] Re: Rant about quality and testing

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 20:26:47 -0500

I did indeed do the last release of WebPositive. I could look into
making a bep but building it requires quite a bit of setup as well as
a lot of source code which takes a long time to build. Long term I
want to separate out all the WebKit stuff as libraries which will
hopefully become fairly stable eventually and then WebPositive can
just be changed and compiled on its own.

As for testing I definitely agree we should all be more careful, but I
also think we could really use more automated testing. Any of the
existing unit tests should be run by Build-O-Matic after each commit,
and I have had thoughts for some time of a scripting language based
app testing tool (likely using Ruby) which could use BMessage
scripting and maybe other infrastructure we add to drive and test
applications. Ruby already has plenty of decent integration testing
tools, it really is just a matter of hooking that up with Haiku and
writing some tests. Though as usual I do not know when I could work in
that. I could make it a priority if others think it might be useful.

--
Regards,
Ryan