[haiku-development] Re: Radeon HD driver

  • From: Alexander von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 09:08:53 -0500

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 15:47:03 +0200, François Revol wrote:
Le 20/10/2011 09:35, Stephan Aßmus a écrit :
Congratulations on your progress, BTW! Looks like I've bought the wrong
video card. I opted for nVIDIA because of 3D Vision, but some games
support side by side 3D now, which is actually the better choice for me for latency reasons. When you get HDMI/DVI output working on a high-end
board, I may want to switch to the other side now! :-D

Well nvidia is known for not releasing the specs anyway, so even
Nouveau, the floss 2D driver for Xorg is buggy here, and crashes every
so often...

I'll likely sue them to get the specs anyway, as this is getting nasty.

While the ATI driver has traditionally been considered more immature
under Linux by quite a few people, AMD has been *VERY* helpful in writing
this driver. They employ several developers dedicated to improving the
Linux Open Source driver. (if you check the headers of the kernel Radeon
driver, it's mostly AMD people credited)

I've always been an nVidia guy, but AMD seems to be stepping up in the past
few years making ATI more open source friendly.

Consider me converted :)

Back on topic, I will go ahead and put the radeon_hd driver into the
nightly images as feedback has been positive.

It's been quite a while since I've seen an app_server crash or a kdl, knock
on wood everything should be pretty solid at this point.

If anyone sees any horrific crashing issues, open a trac for it.

If you have any reports of "HD xxxx card doesn't work", feel free to email me directly for the moment. (I wanna avoid flooding trac with a bunch of one off
reports, as support will be introduced by card families)

Full tracing is enabled in the driver for now, so expect lots of spam if you have a
Radeon HD card.

 -- Alex