[haiku-development] Re: RTL8101/8102 FreeBSD Driver

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 00:02:33 +0200 CEST

Graham MacDonald <macdonag@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for that Michael.  I tried the line above, and while it now
> doesn't crash, and seems to be able to send and receive packets
> (ifconfig reports a small number sent and received) and while it also
> shows up in the Network Prefs, I can't get ping to work.  If I try to
> ping the ip of another machine on my lan (or google.com for that
> matter), ping gets a return value of -1 and states:
> ping: sendto: No route to host.
>
> Any tips on how to debug this further?

That ifconfig shows that there have been bytes sent doesn't necessarily
mean something (as it counts everything that returned no error).
Receiving should be a good sign, though, unless you created that
traffic locally.
I would use tcpdump or a similar tool (for example Wireshark) on the
other box to see what's actually going on in the network. Also,
enabling a few TRACE macros in different network components should
help. You might also want to have a look into the ARP cache using the
"arp" command - if your other box (or router) is in there, you can be
sure that at least the first contact to the outside world worked out
okay.

Bye,
   Axel.