[haiku-development] [RFC] translator extensions : gui, interactive, blocking flags

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 12:28:27 +0100 CET

Hi,
talking about translators, I'd like to introduce some flag in the
ioExtension message or some other place to avoid some future issues.

I think we already had some problems with translators using GUI alerts
when used from command line apps (IIRC we had to add a BApplication to
/bin/translate).

It would be nice to tell a Translator if we are ok with it to open a
(possibly blocking) GUI alert or other stuff.

On command line tools it'd be useful, but also on other places, for ex
a screensaver displaying random pics form the disk... if it opens a
file that requires displaying an alert it would both look bad and be a
security risk.

Also, with some translators like the Sanity one I wrote from the app,
or maybe the GOCR one, since the source is not an actual file (just a
scanner placeholder fake image) and requires manual interaction the
same problem appears.

Any idea how to best solve this ?
Which flag should be defined ?

François.