[haiku-development] Re: RFC: password roster API

  • From: Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 09:25:13 +0000

But, since it contains key rings,
BKeyStore or BKeySafe seem more fitting.

... agreed. I like BKeyStore best, and will use that then.

Which was to be my recommendation too. "Roster" doesn't have a great deal of usage, at least in British English, but I think Ingo's correct that some kind of public iterator would be expected.

> * password_flags - this can be used to automatically detect and convert
> certain password formats, like converting 0x... to a hex key, or
> whatever strange stuff things like WiFi thought would be a good idea.
> Those conversions are only enabled via flags, and won't be done
> automatically

My only other point was about password_flags - the hex usage seems to be a bit application-specific for an otherwise general API. For the WiFi case, I wouldn't want users to need to enter "0x" before a Hexadecimal key - for non-coders that is very obtuse. Instead the Network Preferences should be a bit more forgiving - if the key is the right length and [0-9|a-f|A-F]* then it would seem reasonable to firstly try connecting treating it as hex, and if that fails then try as a string. Once the correct interpretation is known, that could be stored in a BMessage with the general SetData call.

Simon