[haiku-development] Re: RFC: password roster API

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 09:10:00 +0100

On 2011-01-25 at 19:49:30 [+0100], Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 2011-01-24 at 23:46:51 [+0100], Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > > wrote:
> > > --------------8<--------------
> > > class BPasswordRoster {
> > I don't have the time for a closer look ATM, so just a quick comment
> > on the
> > name. I think the "roster" metaphor doesn't fit that well in this
> > case.
> > "Manager" would be more suitable IMO.
>
> According to http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/roster the 2nd
> definition is an "itemized list", so I would think it still fits well
> enough.

From how I've seen the word used (and that's also the impression I get from
the referred-to English-language learners definition) such a list seems to
be (semi-)public. That doesn't feel right for a private password/key store,
which, if I understand it correctly, this is what the class is actually
about.

> Before introducing a public *Manager class, I would prefer to call it
> something like BKeychain.

I guess more correctly: BKeyChain. But, since it contains key rings,
BKeyStore or BKeySafe seem more fitting.

CU, Ingo