[haiku-development] Re: RFC: TRIM request support in ahci [with code]

  • From: Alexander von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 14:22:25 -0500

On 08.06.2012 12:57, Humdinger wrote:
Hi Alex!

2012/6/8, Alexander von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
I've made the first steps to getting the path for the ATA trim command to
the drive.
[...]
Thoughts?

Would it make sense to develop this kinda thing in a branch and only merge after
much testing?

Definitely a good point, however I don't think a branch is needed.

The code changes thus far just get the groundwork laid for us to be able to notify
the disk driver we would like to perform a trim operation on the drive.

My thoughts on this are to get as much code done as we can right up to sending the actual "disk trim event" which should remain #ifdef disabled (with lots of comment warnings) until it goes though *lots* (and I mean *LOTS*) of testing by multiple
people across multiple SSD devices.

The *real* danger comes when we finally start telling the SSD to begin destroying sectors (by making the sata_request call), if we do the disk trim call incorrectly we could erase data we don't want to erase (including data on other partitions)

 -- Alex