[haiku-development] Re: RFC: TRACE output cleanup in FreeBSD compatibility libs

  • From: Alexander von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 16:54:32 -0600

On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 23:26:32 +0100
"Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Alexander von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > If you are not aware of the spam I am speaking of, see below:
> > KERN: printf(`Adding entry for ',...)
> > KERN: printf(`IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet',...)
>
> Did you hand-type these? Because they look different in my syslog
> (ie. just as one would expect):
> KERN: Adding entry for Ethernet 10baseT/UTP
> KERN: 10baseTAdding entry for Ethernet 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex>

I normally run the GCC4 / GCC2 hybrid image... maybe the gcc version is
the difference?

those lines are verbatim.

After my changes in r40886, the lines should look like:

KERN: BSD_IFMEDIA_DEBUG: ifmedia_add: Adding Entry...
KERN: BSD_IFMEDIA_DEBUG:  Type: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet
KERN: BSD_IFMEDIA_DEBUG:  Mode: autoselect
KERN: BSD_IFMEDIA_DEBUG:  SubType: DS/5.5Mbps
KERN: BSD_IFMEDIA_DEBUG: ifmedia_add: Adding Entry...
KERN: BSD_IFMEDIA_DEBUG:  Type: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet
KERN: BSD_IFMEDIA_DEBUG:  Mode: autoselect
KERN: BSD_IFMEDIA_DEBUG:  SubType: DS/5.5Mbps
KERN: BSD_IFMEDIA_DEBUG:  SubType Option[0]: adhoc

which seems better to me.. still spammy, but at least it tells
you something valuable. (I would like to refine them down to
maybe 1 or two lines for each media option instead of showing a block
for each.. but that would require structure changes to where the
tracing is)

> > Please note I made little-to-no style cleanup as I was unsure on how
> > much these libraries should be touched. (I also didn't want to bury
> > the
> > changes)
>
> Since this is a file that comes from FreeBSD directly with very
> little changes, you shouldn't do any cleanup indeed.
> But since there are, OTOH, very little changes happening in that file
> for quite some time, I think your changes are fine, and I wouldn't
> mind if you committed them.

You read my mind on this one. :)

16:38 <@kallisti5> is it worth going over the compat libraries and
trying to clean the style up a little?  They are *bad*
16:39 <@kallisti5> i know they are based on BSD sources though... so I
am not sure if I should avoid it in-case we ever have to back port BSD
changes in the future

I'll avoid touching them anymore minus some more #TRACE additions to
other spots that need it.  Some clean up may fish out bugs and would be
generally positive... Like you though, I am not sure what the BSD folks
have in plan for future driver structure changes.

Thanks!
  -- Alex