[haiku-development] Re: [RFC] Rewriting the main website from Drupal to Hugo

  • From: waddlesplash <waddlesplash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Haiku Development ML <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 16:05:06 -0500

On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 3:58 PM, Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

* https://www.haiku-os.org/timeline
* https://www.haiku-os.org/articles (these two can be generated, maybe?)

The latter can absolutely be generated, the former maybe, but I'd have
to do research.

* The ability to make a "book" (a set of articles linked together) -
but I guess this can be done manually?

Yes, this is possible too. I haven't implemented it yet.

* The "recent git activity" box on the front page (or how would we
handle it?)

Is a JavaScript XHR of RSS feed good enough? Or must it be compatible
with pre-JS browsers too?

I'm not sure moving the forums to a 3rd party service is a good idea,
as it means we somewhat lose control of the data (if we ever need to
move it to another service or back to something under our control, is
that possible?). Also, what are the features for moderation, editing,
etc?

No, I mean we'd just switch from using Drupal to Flarum, and continue
self-hosting. It's a software change, that's all.
You can look at it yourself: http://flarum.org/features/

Also, our forum puts posts in a prominent place, fully integrated with
the website. I think it is a nice thing. Anyone can also submit articles
for review. This is an important aspect of the website, which makes it
not just a showcase, but also a place where the Haiku community can meet
and discuss. Moving that to a 3rd-party forum engine would be cutting
our links with the community even more than they arlready are.

See above -- we'd still be self-hosting, and we can still have the
"Recent forum posts" sidebar too.
And you can still submit articles, although it'd be through email, or
a patch, or a GitHub pull request rather than right on the website
itself.

I don't know if requiring the use of git for article submission is a
good thing. It's ok given the current status of the team (not much
people dedicated to PR and website work, so the devs are handling it
anyway).
But it hasn't always been like that, and it would be nice if we
could get someone doing PR and keeping the website up to date, without
having commit access or even knowledge of how to use git. It would be
great if we could have some easy way to edit the website so someone with
PR skills, but not much technical skills, could contribute to the
website.

There are ways around this too -- see above.

-waddlesplash