[haiku-development] Re: [RFC] Rewriting the main website from Drupal to Hugo

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 08:55:40 -0500

I think the idea of switching to a static site generator for Haiku's
web site is worth considering. Hugo is a good one (and written in Go,
so I could help with coding or bug fixes if needed.)

It does sound like some of the performance issues of the Drupal site
could be improved with some research, but I tend to agree with
Augustin that something as complex as Drupal is not really needed for
Haiku's site.

But I do think we need to make sure that if we switch to a static site
generator that we still have plenty of ways for the community to
interact on the website. After a very quick look Flarum looks decent,
and certainly an improvement on our current forum, which is really,
really old and clanky.

To me the key is to be able to merge these two ideas: a static site
generator with the benefits and performance improvements that
provides, but still some way for the site to be interactive and engage
the community.

I also find it ironic for Haiku developers on this thread so concerned
about the website forum when most of the developers find it to be a
hassle and never read it.

--
Regards,
Ryan