[haiku-development] [RFC] ReadMe vs. ReadMe.IntroductionToHaiku

  • From: "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6723@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 10:26:23 +0000

> Currently we have 2 READMEs in the root of the repository: "ReadMe" [1] and
> "ReadMe.IntroductionToHaiku" [2]. The former mostly describes how to build
> / use Haiku, the latter is an introduction to what Haiku is, why it exists,
> etc.

> I propose we rename "ReadMe" to "ReadMe.Compiling" and
> "ReadMe.IntroductionToHaiku" to (after some cleanup), "ReadMe" for the
> following reasons:
>   * Most users, when presented with a new repository, will just go for
> "ReadMe" for a general overview of the contents
>   * Code search engines tend to target the main ReadMe for a description /
> overview of the project
>   * GitHub displays the contents (in full) of just one ReadMe.

> Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?

> -Augustin
> [1]: http://cgit.haiku-os.org/haiku/tree/ReadMe
> [2]: http://cgit.haiku-os.org/haiku/tree/ReadMe.IntroductionToHaiku

Proposal makes sense.  ReadMe could be a general user's intro to Haiku, while
ReadMe.Compiling could be a guide to building Haiku from source, either from
within Haiku, or other OS, such as Linux or *BSD.

It would be desirable to have a guide on what might need to be tweaked when
compiling from a non-supported BSD, such as NetBSD or Bitrig (Bitrig is forked
from OpenBSD, I haven't tried it yet).

Not to actually elevate such an OS to supported status, but give the
adventurous user a rough guide.

Tom