[haiku-development] Re: RFC: Packages and the Deskbar menu

  • From: Denis <denishaiku@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 18:51:46 +0100
On 23 May 2013, at 15:03, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:

> On 05/23/2013 01:06 AM, Axel Dörfler wrote:
>> On 05/22/2013 10:06 PM, Ingo Weinhold wrote:
>>> The packager (the person creating the package) would be responsible for
>>> adding a symlink in the data/deskbar/menu hierarchy to the package. When
>>> the packages are extracted (physically in case of the current zip files,
>>> virtually with packagefs), depending on their installation locations,
>>> the three directory hierarchies
>>> /boot/{system,common,home/config}/data/deskbar/menu would be created.
>>
>> What I do not really like about this solution is the possibility to
>> choose arbitrary directories for the links.
>
> If you are concerned that creative application developers will invent new
> categories, we can define a fixed set and enforce it in Deskbar (by simply
> ignoring others) and/or in haikuporter as part of checking the packaging
> policy.

This fixed set should be akin to mime-types so it can be properly localised, as
already suggested.

I think the menu should show items based on both their disk location and their
predefined category.

- By default apps are added at the top level.
- Apps at the top level which have a predefined category are listed in the
appropriate submenu
- Apps in a subfolder are listed in a submenu named after the subfolder
- If a folder is empty it is not listed, and if a folder has a single entry the
folder is replaced by that entry (app or subfolder). This is to prevent
unnecessary navigation.
- It is possible to change the destination folder of new apps. So if you want a
flat list, create a subfolder and put all apps there. If you want known apps to
go in their categories and new apps to be segregated in a special submenu, keep
known apps at the top level and change the default destination to "New!" or
whatever you want to call it.

This scheme should work for all people, those who don't want or rarely want to
use another organization than the default, those who want to organize
themselves, and those who'd rather scroll.

Now to the bike sheds!

-- Denis.