[haiku-development] Re: RFC: Media plug-ins hybrid support

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2014 23:20:55 +0200

On 04/01/2014 03:04 PM, PulkoMandy wrote:
What would you suggest?

As we currently only have a single add-on, moving it client side definitely sounds like an option.
However, I think another option would also be acceptable:
1) Let the media_server assume that a correctly installed add-on is always available for both architectures. 2) Then we could either just return the name of the add-on, and let the client do the rest, or even continue to return refs for the correct architecture. 3) The "always scan before a reply" sounds unnecessary; I would just remove it. If monitoring does not work as it should, it should be fixed.

That would also be nice as it doesn't steal you that much time.

Since this solution is based on the assumption that all add-ons are always available for all architectures, we could also (at some point in the future) move the code client side, and use it in the server to cache the status quo for the primary architecture. If that result fails for the secondary architecture, it could just rescan the add-ons again.

Bye,
   Axel.