[haiku-development] Re: [RFC / Important] Removing extra architectures

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 12:18:46 +0100 (CET)

> On February 19, 2014 at 10:40 AM François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 19/02/2014 10:37, Ithamar R. Adema wrote:
> > +1, and additionally, I think the line for a "usable" port should be on
> > wether or not it can start a piece of userland,  even if it is just bash.
> > This would indicate a pretty complete kernel and user land setup, while it
> > being able to "bootstrap" pretty much only says the cross compiler can
> > build and there are enough stubs to make it all link ;)

I'm all with Oliver, and Ithamar on this one.
Even if it's not directly related, but with git we have the chance of having a
clean and mostly stable main repository. Most if not all features should be
developed in a branch, and merged when ready. That should reduce the burden of
the release coordination significantly over time.

> I just don't want to have to revert file deletion commits around.

I see your point, but that would only be a one time nuisance.

Apart from that, I also wouldn't have any problem if the port's self chosen
maintainers get together, and decide how they want to proceed with their port --
if we don't find common ground that is. Ports that don't have anyone feeling
responsible, can be removed (like mipsel).

Bye,
   Axel.