[haiku-development] Re: [RFC] Haikuporter - Removing the no-dependencies flag?

  • From: Alexander von Gluck IV <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 09:14:29 -0600

On , Jérôme Duval wrote:
Le 3 déc. 2014 18:34, "Alexander von Gluck IV"
<kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

 > We're starting to see bugs in letting applications write .la files.

This has been discussed before. Either remove the .la files and fix
the pkgconfig files to reference devel packages dependencies,

The problem is that some software expects libtool (.la) to be used and doesn't
support pkgconfig, or chooses libtool before looking for pkgconfig.

or fix the .la files themselves.

As I mentioned, we can't just "fix" the .la's as .la files get versions of non-package files
hard-coded in them

Example:  libsndfile requires libogg
libsndfile.la gets the path to current /package/.../libogg-3.0.4/... hard coded into it.
The libogg package gets updated to 3.1.0
libsndfile .la being incorrect (pointing to /package/.../libogg-3.0.4/... when 3.0.4 is no longer installed) means packages using libsndfile won't compile due to the path being wrong.

Please just have a look at recipes I've already fixed, ie freetype.

I'm pretty sure this isn't a proper fix as anything that is coded to use the freetype la's will no longer build.

You have to keep in mind that recipe builds *will* be automated at some point. The update to libogg doesn't increase the rev of the libsndfile package above... how will we know that libsndfile will need to be rebuilt / updated?

 -- Alex