[haiku-development] [RFC] Haikuporter - Removing the no-dependencies flag?

  • From: Alexander von Gluck IV <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2014 11:33:34 -0600

We're starting to see bugs in letting applications write .la files.

The .la files point to fixed versions of dependency_libs.

In my example:

libogg installed on my system is 1.3.0-2
libvorbis on my system was compiled towards libogg 1.3.0-2

I rebuilt libogg (no deps) to build libsndfile as there is a newer version (1.3.2)

when I went to rebuild libsndfile, the libvorbis.la referenced the system's libogg 1.3.0 directory while the haikuporter loaded libogg was 1.3.2 breaking the build.

Example:
/boot/system/develop/lib/libvorbis.la
.
.
dependency_libs=' -L/packages/libogg-1.3.0-2/.self/develop/lib /packages/libogg-1.3.0-2/.self/develop/lib/libogg.la'
.
.

To solve these issues we have two solutions:

  - Removing the --no-dependencies flag
    Fixes the issue
Pain in the ass as if anyone updates a package and not the repo, everyone has to recompile it in child dependencies.
    Will encourage people to update packages in the repos :-)

  - Erasing the .la files via prepareInstalledDevelLibs
Removes the pain, but may break compatibility of apps that require libtool vs pkgconfig

Thoughts?  Both options kind of suck.

 -- Alex