[haiku-development] Re: RFC: Haiku graphic driver layout overview

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 10:28:15 -0800

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 9:13 AM, Alex Wilson <yourpalal2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I find this graphic somewhat confusing. I assume Acme and Haico are made-up
> graphics vendors, but if that's the case, what is the 'work in progress, not
> yet exposed via API'?. Maybe the text that will accompany the graphic makes
> this clear, but it's not obvious just looking at the image.

Yeah, I didn't find it obvious at first either...

It could make more sense with real examples - here's how I might envision it:

Acme Graphics Card 1 = Radeon HD 5xxx
Acme Graphics Card 2 = Radeon HD 6xxx
Acme Graphics Driver = radeon_hd
Acme Accelerant 1/2 = radeon_hd.accelerant (two instances?)
Haico Graphics Card 1 = Intel GMA3150 (integrated)
Haico Graphics Driver = intel_extreme
Haico Accelerant 1 = intel_extreme.accelerant

Don't forget that each card may have multiple ports/monitors attached
- so the infographic is still a bit sketchy - will there be one
accelerant instance per card, or one per port?

- Urias