[haiku-development] Re: RFC: Goin' all crazy on NetworkSetup Profiles

  • From: Alexander von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 12:35:20 -0600

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 19:14:56 +0100
Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I personally have never used network profiles, nor has anyone in
> > irc. Before I commit these changes, I wanted to get the general
> > consensus of the ML to ensure I am not taking away functionality
> > that might be used by a large percentage of the community.
> I use my laptop in various places and have different settings for
> each of them :
>   * at home : wired network, wifi disabled
>   * at school : nonencrypted wifi AP
>   * elsewhere : hotspots of all kinds

Most of my development is on a laptop I carry to work every day. Keep
in mind I am talking about DHCP vs static for network interfaces only..
you still will be able to set up credentials for multiple WiFI access
points and have the system automatically connect to the available ones.

> I'd really like a way to switch between them. With the current system
> I tend to get connected to my neighbour hotspot whereas i'd like to
> use wider ethernet. I need to disable the wireless interface, then
> reconfigure the wired one because DNS are currently global and the
> ones from the wireless get used, and are not reachable on wired
> ethernet...
>
> Add 3G and/or 56k to that and you'll see profile may help a lot to
> quickly switch between various setups when you have a laptop.

These would be implemented like stateful connections, eg.  click 3g
connection and activate to bring the interface up when needed. (think
handling 3g/56k like vpn connections.. it's how Gnome does it and it
works really well)

Thanks! ... and keep the responses coming :)  I really need input on
this.
  -- Alex