[haiku-development] Re: RFC: Goin' all crazy on NetworkSetup Profiles

  • From: Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 19:14:56 +0100

I personally have never used network profiles, nor has anyone in irc.
Before I commit these changes, I wanted to get the general consensus
of the ML to ensure I am not taking away functionality that might be
used by a large percentage of the community.
I use my laptop in various places and have different settings for each of them :
 * at home : wired network, wifi disabled
 * at school : nonencrypted wifi AP
 * elsewhere : hotspots of all kinds

I'd really like a way to switch between them. With the current system I tend to get connected to my neighbour hotspot whereas i'd like to use wider ethernet. I need to disable the wireless interface, then reconfigure the wired one because DNS are currently global and the ones from the wireless get used, and are not reachable on wired ethernet...

Add 3G and/or 56k to that and you'll see profile may help a lot to quickly switch between various setups when you have a laptop.

Actually, once the profiles are set I'd use only that, so I don't mind if there's an extra click to edit a profile. Once it's set, I want to switch profiles quickly.

--
Adrien.