[haiku-development] Re: [RFC] Getting rid of the tabs in Terminal, using Stack & Tile instead

  • From: gus knight <waddlesplash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Haiku Development ML <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2015 12:30:11 -0400

On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 3:46 AM, Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It would be less nice because some issues need to be fixed yet:
* When the width of a window tab in a stack changes, there is still a
drawing glitch

That's not so bad, is it? It's more annoying than anything else...

* There is no context menu on window tabs. Terminal tabs have an "edit
title" feature we would need to move elsewhere (currently it's double
click on the tab)

I'll move it to the "Settings" menu.

* Window tabs take more space than terminal tabs (because of the icons
and "Terminal:" text in them, limiting the number of tabs you can have
open and still see what you're doing (also the Deskbar still isn't
trimming the app name from deskbar entries)

The "Terminal: " text I was going to remove, as it goes against the
HIG (Debugger doesn't have "Debugger" in window title, neither does
"Tracker", etc.)

* Terminal is a single-window app, meaning a new process is started for
each Terminal window. We should make it a multiple window application,
otherwise the window stacking is going to be more complex (you need to
find the correct window from the newly spawned team).

Actually, this code already exists to find the other instances,
interestingly enough.

It is probably a lot more work than doing nothing with the current code
which is a mess, but works; and also more work than rewriting Terminal
to use layout. But I think it's a move in the right direction.

Well, we get a rewrite to the layout kit as part of this, that's part
of the reason to move.

-gus