[haiku-development] Re: [RFC] Getting rid of the tabs in Terminal, using Stack & Tile instead

  • From: "Adrien Destugues" <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 12:04:59 +0000

Using the wasted title bar space on Windows by moving the tabs there, does
make sense. However, on Haiku that space isn't wasted, because it allows
stacking windows -- windows with tab views. As I wrote before, I find that
that an awesome feature to neatly organize multiple browser windows on a
single workspace. Losing that functionality would be... uh... a loss.

Agreed. I may be in a minority, but personally I'd rather have S&T be
a feature that's strictly for the user's organizational purposes, and
not co-opted by apps (or at least not without it being an explicit
option).

In that case we also need to make tabs from a BTabView draggable to become new
windows or from a window to another. Firefox will allow this, because
otherwise, if you open a tab in the wrong window, there is no way to reorganize
things. And when you start doing that, the distinction between stacked windows
and in-app tabs become a lot more blurred.

--
Adrien.