[haiku-development] Re: RFC: Clean up the route command output?

  • From: Alexander von Gluck IV <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 13:46:42 -0500

On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 10:47:42 +0200 (CEST)
Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > On June 24, 2013 at 2:29 AM Alexander von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> > On Sun, 2013-06-23 at 22:09 +0200, Axel Dörfler wrote:
> > > Can we please return to the netmask for IPv4
> > I originally changed it to get some consistancy in the route command
> > output.  Others mentioned in IRC that as advanced users generally
> > use the route command, showing CIDR wasn't a big deal vs netmask.
>
> My reasoning would be that IPv6 isn't that common knowledge yet, and people
> using the route command may not be able to grasp the output as easily.

Most enterprise network stuff uses CIDR heavily (for v4 and v6) so it isn't a
large leap for most technical people. (tables to convert CIDR to netmasks are
fairly common online as well) CIDR is normally in any basic network training
class as well. (well.. it was in my Cisco CCNA classes in college)

> > Changing it back to have IPv4 show netmasks and IPv6 show CIDR shouldn't
> > be too hard... although it means the output for each protocol won't be
> > consistant.
>
> It doesn't look consistent anyway due to the different address layout, so I
> don't think it would matter much.

True. Well.. the end goal was to have the protocol address fields (all of them
for
the protocol) dynamically adjust from a minumum of 15 characters (aka, IPv4
address)
to the maximum address length, reducing the overall length. The adjustments I
made to route make this fairly easy.

aka:

IPv4:
             IP          Gateway
        1.1.1.2/24       1.1.1.1
.
.
IPv6:
             IP          Gateway
   20fe:44ef::4/64  20fe:44ef::1

Or the following IPv6 section if one of the addresses are longer:

IPv4:
             IP          Gateway
        1.1.1.2/24       1.1.1.1
.
.
IPv6:
                       IP                       Gateway
   20fe:44ef:1234:1234::4/64     20fe:44ef:1234:1234::1

Anyway, after writing that out I guess it doesn't matter either way as when v6
addresses are longer than 15 characters things won't align anyway.

I'll re-add the prefered prefix bit and figure out how to dynamically add a
netmask column.

How do you feel about using single letters for the flags? I'll have to figure
out a way to document what means what though. A lot of this stuff is a balance
for people who know, and people who don't.

 -- Alex