[haiku-development] R1/beta1 (finally?)

  • From: waddlesplash <waddlesplash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Haiku Development ML <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2017 12:31:27 -0500

Hi all,

So, the buildmaster is now providing the default package repositories.
There are a few remaining infrastructural quirks (no mirrors...) but I
think those will be straightened out soonish, even if I have to pay
for one myself.

Which brings us to, at last, the R1/beta1 release. As of writing,
there are 19 tickets in the beta1 milestone [1]. 6 of these are
essentially "tasks" to do in beta1 branch (bump HAIKU_VERSION, disable
broken radeon_hd cards, etc.) I think most of the remaining 13 could
likely be deferred, with the possible exceptions of:

 * Installation of source packages fails: We need to ship sources with
the release, so I'm not sure what should be done with this one. Likely
our build setup still needs tweaking to get source packages included
with images, but I haven't looked into this.
 * Actually I think that's it?

Unless anyone knows of any other blockers, I think we could proceed
with a release in the next month-ish. I'll try to work on some of the
"really-nice-to-haves" (app_server missing BFont::IsFullAndHalfFixed
which is breaking use of Noto Sans Mono, reworking jamfiles to add
UEFI loader to anyboot image), but otherwise, I don't see any reason
why we can't branch r1beta1 within a week or so.

Yes, this does seem a bit "fast" ... but we've got a rather polished
image as it is with not a lot of things to take care of, so what
reason would we have to delay? If something comes up of course we
could defer, but I don't see a reason to stall at this point.

If there are no objections, I can draw up a more specific release
timeline and proceed with operations.

-waddlesplash

[1]: 
https://dev.haiku-os.org/query?status=assigned&status=in-progress&status=reopened&status=new&group=status&milestone=R1%2Fbeta1

Other related posts: