[haiku-development] Re: R1a4 -- possible?

  • From: Clemens <clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 23:40:08 +1300

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 12:10:50 +1300, Alex Wilson <yourpalal2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello there,

R1a3 is no longer a suitable development platform.
The current code cannot be compiled out of the box.
IMO, that alone is reason to do a release.

+1 (would not mind to call it R1 beta :) )

IIRC, IMAP needs to be fixed, as the current code could lead to
server-side data loss.
Axel has some work on it -- https://github.com/axeld/haiku/tree/imap
Though, it's not yet ready to be merged.

Prove me wrong but the problem is more that for some servers you can't delete anything on the server because EXPUNGE is not called. The user should be save from data loss.

I don't think it would be good to remove IMAP altogether, could we
just revert the IMAP work in the release branch to a point when it was
more stable? I haven't been following the IMAP stuff, so I don't know
what the original motivation for working on the code was.

To be honest the previous version was not a real IMAP implementation, it worked like pop3 but used the imap protocol. For my large mailboxes I was not able to checkout the inbox at all, it hanged all the time. Furthermore, mail_daemon had some thread problems and crashed quite often. There is not a more stable earlier version. I don't really understand the IMAP fuss its certainly not working perfectly but at least for my 4 mailboxes (>20000 mails) it works fine during my daily work.

Regards,
        Clemens