[haiku-development] Re: R1a4 -- possible?

  • From: Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 18:37:19 +0100

Le 16/02/2012 10:35, Sean Healy a écrit :
On 2/16/2012 9:42 AM, fanoIlprimo@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

I can understand A3 is now old and a lot of bug/enhancement are in
nightly... but why it's not a development platform anymore?

Speaking as a contributor and not a developer:
For application development you're safe if you stay with the official APIs (that is, leaving out layout kit, locale kit, gcc4, webkit, and so on). If you use any of these, then your application may not workon newer release,either for binary compatibility problems or even source incompatibilities. That's why we want these API to be more stable before we release R1: from then on they will be official and we willnot be able to change them until R2.

If you want to build Haiku itself, then you're likely to get various problems because of changes in the compiler, the OS itself, and the way the build system works with them.

When Haiku will be stable, the problem will stay the same : you're safe to develop apps for R1 on R1, and you may try to develop apps for R2 on any r2ax image, knowing that the next one may change something. But that's fine, as most people should be using R1 anyway. The alphas are for Haiku developers and testing only. When we go beta/release candidate, the API will stop moving. Developping an app on a beta version shouldbe ok to get it ready in time for the next stable release.

I would imagine that that is the goal of the developers - in fact, a lot of suggested changes have already been put in the R2 category, so that there is a more or less stable target for R1. Once this target has been reached and gone through the beta process, R1 will be released, and after that there will (I hope) be only minor bugfix releases.

after R1 is released, it wilbe too late for bug fixes. You'll have to live with the bugs while Haiku devs work on R2. The solution is to put a long enough beta stage to spot most of the bugs and find solutions to them.

--
Adrien.