[haiku-development] Re: R1a4 -- possible?

  • From: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 09:44:53 +0100

Hi,

On 2012-02-15 at 01:34:35 [+0100], Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 16:17, scottmc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > There's several optional packages which have new versions that I
> > haven't added into Haiku yet, such as updated SDL Libs, curl, and many
> > others, should I start updating those, or just wait?
>
> Ideally, packages are updated after a release -- not leading up to one.

True, updating packages before a release is only a good idea if there's
enough time to test them. But I'd like to remind everyone that hrev43507
has changed the size and layout of the mbstate_t structure, which is being
used by many optional packages. Because of this change, I'd think that all
optional packages that have not been rebuilt on top of hrev43507 or later
are very likely to cause crashes and/or weird behaviour.

Judging from the changes to OptionalPackages since hrev43507, I guess quite
a few optional packages need to be rebuilt (not necessarily updated,
though).

Not using current Haiku revisions much myself, I'm kind of surprised that
there haven't been more complaints about unstable optional packages ...

cheers,
        Oliver