[haiku-development] Re: R1a4 -- possible?

  • From: Donn Cave <donn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 21:00:19 -0800 (PST)

Quoth "Ingo Weinhold" <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>,
[... re building from a3 ...]
> but this is a lot of tedious work and I'm admittedly not particularly
> motivated. :-/

Because, am I right, no one cares?  I've been using snapshots, and
I can't imagine that by now, anyone would try to build from a3
without thinking to try a snapshot, since it has been the better
part of a year.

A real alpha release is sort of a burden to the user community:  anyone
with an investment in the upcoming release must get it installed and
tested ASAP, because if there's anything at all wrong, this is our
best chance to get it fixed before release.  Is that what this would be -
arguably feature-complete release that foreshadows R1 and calls for
an intensive round of user testing and feedback?

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with dribbling out intermediate
releases for the benefit of Haiku users (like me), but for developers
and such the real payoff is a supported release.  I don't want to
release stuff built on an `alpha', I want to test it on an alpha and
release it on R1.  ("It" being the GHC Haskell compiler in my case.)

        Donn