[haiku-development] Re: R1a4 -- possible?

  • From: Alex Wilson <yourpalal2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 16:10:50 -0700

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> R1a3 is no longer a suitable development platform.
> The current code cannot be compiled out of the box.
> IMO, that alone is reason to do a release.

Yes, once again we are at the point that the first suggestion to fix
many problems is to download a nightly, so I think you're right in
calling for a new release.

> IIRC, IMAP needs to be fixed, as the current code could lead to
> server-side data loss.
> Axel has some work on it -- https://github.com/axeld/haiku/tree/imap
> Though, it's not yet ready to be merged.

Another issue that is, imo, a release blocker is #8001 which means
that many people who had good graphics support in A3 will experience a
serious regression. Although Clemens has committed a workaround, it's
still not perfect.

> One suggestion was to simply remove the IMAP add-on (via
> build/jam/HaikuImage), preventing casual users from
> experiencing the data loss.

I don't think it would be good to remove IMAP altogether, could we
just revert the IMAP work in the release branch to a point when it was
more stable? I haven't been following the IMAP stuff, so I don't know
what the original motivation for working on the code was.

> Would March 18th be too soon for a release?

I assume the goal would be to get it released before GSoC begins?
March 18th seems pretty fast to me, especially if we factor in at
least a week for image testing.

--Alex