[haiku-development] Re: R1a4: just Anyboot and VMDK?

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 09:52:33 -0700

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 9:15 AM, Przemysław Pintal
<premislaus1988@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I still use ISO. Do you have any downloads statistics( ISO, anyboot,
> nightly vs stable, gcc2h vs gcc4h, etc)?

For our Alpha releases, the ISO always incurs more downloads than
anything else - but I don't think that necessary means it's the better
solution. Most people don't know what "Anyboot" means, so they avoid
it - whereas "ISO" is a well-known term that most people associate
with "Installation CD".

In theory, the Anyboot images *should* be better than the ISO because
they can be written to USB stick, HD, or CD (via a "fake"
El-torito/ISO that convinces BIOS that it's properly bootable), but if
there are compatibility issues booting from the CD, those need to be
resolved before we eliminate ISO as a format.