[haiku-development] Re: R1/a4 initial planning

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 14:51:28 -0500

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 2:45 PM, Fredrik Holmqvist
<fredrik.holmqvist@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'd rather see a different kind of Interface Kit, one where layout and
> interaction/logic/code is more or less two different things.
> Layout should for most cases be handled by a layout engine (constraint
> programming perhaps) and done outside of C++ or any programming, so
> that draw and much handling of sizes would go into layout description.
> Similar to stylesheets and HTML but more for drawing/layout.
> The idea would be that if the layout is known by the layout engine up
> front I think it could solve and render layout much more efficiently.
> Plus people who do design don't tend to do C++.
>
> But that needs A LOT of exploring, but I'd like to toy with the idea...

You more or less just described Qt Quick BTW. And there is probably
nothing stopping us from using QML (the mark-up part of Qt Quick, or
really what Qt Quick is) or something similar in Haiku.

Not to be a "fanboy in the making" but we all should take a look at Qt Quick.

--
Regards,
Ryan