[haiku-development] Re: R1/a4 initial planning

  • From: Andrew Wood <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 23:53:57 +0000

On 23/02/2012 00:28, Ingo Weinhold wrote:
I think we should consider Qt as base of the Haiku R2 API, replacing most of the Be/Haiku C++ API.

For what my opinoins worth I dont agree at all.

The beauty of Haiku is the Be C++ API. If we're going to just start bolting other stuff like Qt on top then we're heading into the Linux 'kludge' territory. It may be ok as a stop gap to get various things like a decent web browser but I think we should foster and promote the C++ API as the way to go for new stuff. There really is nothing like it.

To my mind if you throw out the Be API, you throw out what makes Haiku unique and there's very little reason to consider it long term, you might as well go back to using Linux.