[haiku-development] Re: R1/a4 initial planning

  • From: pulkomandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 23:30:00 +0100

On Fri, Mar 02, 2012 at 03:54:24PM -0500, Ryan Leavengood wrote:

> Or another approach would be some background daemon that listens for
> these MIDI messages and then sends out specific messages to configured
> applications. So as long as an application exposes some messaging
> protocol it could be controlled with this system. Like if Stephan
> exposed the sliders in Wonderbrush with a messaging protocol they
> could be controlled with such a system.

Wait... what about using the MIDI kit ?

> As for color or font pickers, even on BeOS there were custom color
> pickers applications like roColour, and the "BeOS way" was to just
> have apps support colors being dragged into them from such apps. As
> far as I know, Haiku still supports that (and if not, we can add it.)

There is no real specific support on the OS side, the app just happens
to understand a particular BMessage format, and the colorpicker happens
to send it when you drag'n'drop.

So this works safely accross OS releases, as long as BMessages stay
around.

--
Adrien.