[haiku-development] Re: R1/a4 initial planning

  • From: Rimas Kudelis <rq@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 16:34:40 +0200

2012.02.29 15:19, PHilip RUshik rašė:
Well alright, I really can't say for sure since I haven't actually looked at the code for QT, all of what I know about it comes from my use of QT applications, the amount of time it takes to build (on linux), and my experience with it in an embedded linux. I also tend to compare graphical systems (not necessarily widget libraries) to others that I have seen and used in the past. SDL, GTK, FLTK, etc.. compared to most others, QT is pretty huge, granted SDL serves a different purpose, so its features are different. GTK is still huge as well, I really don't know how they compare to each other, FLTK isn't as featureful, but it is quite small and it can still produce nice looking applications. Systems such as Menuet which are written entirely in assembly fit everything into the space of a floppy, I know that Haiku is all about C++ and the BeAPI, I don't expect Haiku to ever be rewritten in ASM, I'm just saying that when its compared to other systems of its type, QT is just about the biggest one. "Complete" vs "Bloated" is kind of a gray area, its easy to debate what features are needed and what features are just bloat. However, FLTK does quite well with much less features than QT does (not that I am suggesting we move to FLTK, I'm suggesting we hold on to our BeAPI as much as possible). Like I said before, its nice to have QT available, for the sake of being as usable as possible, but it shouldn't be integrated into Haiku, since it has nothing to do with anything associated with Haiku or any of Haiku's goals.

AFAIK, both Qt ant GTK are more than just GUI toolkits, so they are naturally bigger. FLTK is GUI-only, meanwhile Qt contains lots and lots of non-GUI stuff (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qt_%28toolkit%29#Design). GTK+GLib seems to be somewhat similar (although probably not as featureful).

Rimas