[haiku-development] Re: R1a4 anyboot is 8004MiB (and CafePress disc service is offline)

  • From: kallisti5 <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 20:56:54 -0500

On 2012-09-11 8:26 pm, Matt Madia wrote:
On Sep 11, 2012 11:55 AM, "pulkomandy" <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: > Given the trouble we get to fit each release on a CD, I guess it's not > so wise to add an extra megabyte of data to it, at least not until we > switch to DVD as the distribution medium (I wonder if there are services
 > similar to what we used for a3 to press DVDs ?)

As of now. The r1a4 anyboot image is 804MiB, with about 20MiB free.
So, if we aimed for CD size,then some programs/optional packages would
need to be trimmed out.

Ahh.. glad we don't have to trim 7304MiB :)

I'm for moving to a DVD image for the "final" releases... most computers made within the last 7 years have dvd drives, and external usb dvd-rom's can be
found for under $20 usd

It does raise the cost of the media a bit though :\

We could remove all the "extra" apps from the slim CD version if we go with
a CD and a DVD release.

Optional 10.29MiB
  WonderBrush - 6.49MiB
  Vision - 1.36MiB
  Pe - 2.44MiB

And if we get desperate:
  WebPositive - 23.87MiB

These all could be installed post OS installation anyway.

 -- Alex