[haiku-development] Re: R1/A3 -- Third Time's the Charm(?)

  • From: Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 19:01:32 +0100

Le 25/01/2011 14:49, Stefano Ceccherini a écrit :
2011/1/25 Pengfei Han<pengphei@xxxxxxxxx>:
Hey all.
I have nothing to say about the coming R1a3, except for the following:

ReadOnlyBootPrompt has trouble with line breaking chinese text, but
works fine otherwise. This can only be solved properly by using ICU
layouting engine for linebreaking the text. I hope I'll have some time
to do it, but I can't be sure.
  As for this problem, I think it is referred to some old tickets [1] that
need to be solved,
If using ICU could solve this problem, it will be fine. I hope we can
finally solve this, not only for
solving this ReadOnlyBootPrompt question.
Best Regards!
Can't this be done inside BTextView ? There is a function CanEndLine()
which could be implemented using ICU.
Yes, but one has to research the way this should be done in ICU. I'm more or less out of time for Haiku right now, and overall I'd like other people to start working on localization tasks.

Also, ReadOnlyBootPrompt currently doesn't use a BTextView because BTextView can't render the background leaf picture. So I rewrote a function similar to CanEndLine, although somewhat simpler. This shows that the function should be exposed from the Locale Kit. But on the other hand the character count per line depends on the rendering, so it must be tied to drawing text in some way. Maybe using the spacing system that was made for Web+ may be useful for that, and plugging it to the ICU layouting engine.

doing it right needs more time than it looks like. We can hack something together for ReadOnlyBootPrompt, but what about other apps ? I expect similar problems in other places...

--
Adrien.