[haiku-development] Re: R1A3: Image types to release?

  • From: scottmc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 21:35:52 -0700

What about disabling installoptionalpackage or reducing which apps are
allowed to be installed when in live CD mode using the ISO?

-scottmc

On May 29, 2011 9:14 PM, "Sean Collins" <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Nickos V wrote:
>>
>>> Since the updates to the BOM, the Iso's have worked fine.
>>>

>> Reason Matt wants to avoid ISO is because it has fairly limited LiveCD
functionality which I found out using it in VirtualBox. Though Live booting
on a computer would have same effect. Things like bzip & svn would not
install & installing transmission crashed the ISO LiveCD.

>> I mostly use anyboot and once in awhile ISO but many new users may prefer
ISO because they are used to it. I rename anyboot.image to anyboot.iso so
that burning programs know how to handle it properly. If you remove ISO then
you will need some info on burning anyboot for the newcomers.

>> One big downside I see is size. Anyboot is 813 MB versus ISO 589 MB.
Standard size for CD is 700 MB? Else I would say to offer anyboot as the new
ISO (anyboot.iso) but this will not fit on standard size CD which could be
an issue for many.

>> ISO should be kept around because of smaller size and provide a note
saying ISO provides reduced LiveCD functionality compared to the other
formats available. Just in case people are looking for using LiveCD rather
than installing Haiku.