[haiku-development] Re: R1A3: Image types to release?

  • From: Sean Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 00:13:54 +0000

Nickos V wrote:
Since the updates to the BOM, the Iso's have worked fine.

Reason Matt wants to avoid ISO is because it has fairly limited LiveCD functionality
which I found out using it in VirtualBox.  Though Live booting on a computer would have
same effect.  Things like bzip & svn would not install & installing
transmission crashed the ISO LiveCD.

I mostly use anyboot and once in awhile ISO but many new users may prefer ISO
because they are used to it.  I rename anyboot.image to anyboot.iso so that
burning programs know how to handle it properly.  If you remove ISO then you
will need some info on burning anyboot for the newcomers.

One big downside I see is size.  Anyboot is 813 MB versus ISO 589 MB.  Standard
size for CD is 700 MB?  Else I would say to offer anyboot as the new ISO
(anyboot.iso) but this will not fit on standard size CD which could be an issue
for many.

ISO should be kept around because of smaller size and provide a note saying ISO provides reduced LiveCD functionality compared to the other formats available. Just in case people are looking for using LiveCD rather than installing Haiku.
I use ISO's to boot computers where usb functionality is dubious. It can and does happen. Plus most people would burn a disc and try it out.

I think maybe a page explaining the options and choice may help, but I wouldn't drop iso's.