[haiku-development] Re: R1A3: Image types to release?

  • From: marcus overhagen <marcus.overhagen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 07:52:57 +0200

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 11:26 PM, Adrien Destugues
<pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> since the anyboot image has a partition table, you can create a partition on
> the free space using drivesetup. Then you can add whatever you want there.

When I was testing USB boot with a few systems some month ago,
I noticed that USB stick with a partition table would work on all machines
that I have here. (It was a DOS boot code)

The Haiku stick with a raw (bootable) image only that contained no partition
table wasn't working on all of them. It was not even executed (I added
debug code)

I even noticed that one machine would ignore that MBR boot code and
did directly
execute the first partitions boot code, I think that was an AMD/VIA machine.

I think we should really aim for a USB image that contains a partition table
and Haiku in the first partition.

regards
Marcus