[haiku-development] Re: R1 blocker - dial up internet?

  • From: Alexandre Deckner <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 13:37:22 +0100

Karl vom Dorff wrote:
BeOS, as far as I'm aware, had some modem dial-up capability. Haiku's dial-up capability?
This to me, would seem to be a blocker.

I'm looking at some statistics (although I don't know how reliable)

http://blog.wasiqansari.com/index.php/2010/02/35-of-us-internet-still-on-dialup/

If the amount of U.S users still on dial-up = around 1/3 of the population (~100 million users), it begs the question, how many rely on dial-up in Asia and Africa?

To put things into perspective a bit, this Ubuntu 12th or so stable release still doesn't support this 2006 laptop winmodem out of the box (tried once in almost 10 years) and i haven't succeeded with a manual fix either :) I would put this feature in the category: "cool, include it if someone is motivated and it is ready before the release, but don't delay the release for it". But anyway, thanks to Phillipe, it looks like it will make it in R1.

Regarding the stats, although i totally believe a lot of people still use dialup, and that a computer should be usable without broadband, it's the people that are interested in alternative operating systems that we must motivate right now, and those might be well over 90% on broadband. The survey talks about the percentage of the population including babies, grandmas and the occasional facebooker. I would be surprised if more than five Haiku users actually needs it with a user base in the thousands (and still haven't found a workaround).

Regards,
Alex