[haiku-development] Re: R1 blocker - dial up internet?

  • From: Siarzhuk Zharski <zharik@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 07:09:01 +0100

Hi,

Am 24.11.2010 05:54, schrieb Clemens Zeidler:
Don't we need a lot of modem drivers for that?

It depends. There are "hardware" modems that need only working RS232 port driver on the OS side. There are "winmodems" that have most of it's communication functionality implemented in the OS driver (mostly proprietary and closed sources). As far as I heard modern 3G modems are also used as quasi dialup devices. They need also some support from the OS side.

So also if dial up is really still used by a none negligible number I would not declare it as a blocker. I would more like to reduce the blocker list then to increase it.

Yes, real RS232 communication ports are mostly go away from the modern PCs but lot of USB-to-RS232 adapters are here. Haiku already has usb_serial driver for FTDI, pl2303 and cp2101 adapter types but it waits for solving the "TTY Module Question". Many tasks in embedded development and hardware support are still require communicating with harwdare by RS232. So RS232 support is not a just "legacy wish" but requirement, IMO.

Am 24.11.2010, 16:56 Uhr, schrieb Karl vom Dorff <karlvd@xxxxxxxxx>:

BeOS, as far as I'm aware, had some modem dial-up capability. Haiku's
dial-up capability?

This to me, would seem to be a blocker.

---
Kind Regards,