[haiku-development] Re: Questions on using a bash script to modify AboutSystem's COPYRIGHT attribute

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 17:11:43 +0000

On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 13:10, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2010-01-01 at 00:55:01 [+0100], Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> For two scripts (ticket 4680's optional package installer and a
>> soon-to-be-made wifi firmware installer), I'd like the ability to add
>> the respective copyright information to AboutSystem.
>
> I'm not sure, whether that will be necessary at all. At least the original
> plan was to make sure that all software included in an image built by the
> build system is credited properly. Software installed later by the user was
> considered not to be our problem.
>

>> For the newly
>> added information, could it simply be appended to the very end of the
>> attribute or would it be preferred to insert it alphabetically?
>
> The package descriptions in the attribute aren't sorted anyway, so just
> appending would be fine. Since some .OptionalPackageDescription files don't
> end in a newline, adding one after each package is a also a good idea.

in build/scripts/build_haiku_image unzipFile(),

http://dev.haiku-os.org/browser/haiku/trunk/build/scripts/build_haiku_image#L73
shouldn't the echo >> $copyrightsFile   insert a blank line after
every .OptionalPackageDescription?

{{{
        if [ -f $unzipDir/.OptionalPackageDescription ]; then
                cat $unzipDir/.OptionalPackageDescription >> $copyrightsFile
                echo >> $copyrightsFile
                rm $unzipDir/.OptionalPackageDescription
        fi
}}}

On trunk,  bzip2, mkisofs, & sed are some packages that don't end in a
newline. But, that does not seem to affect AboutSystem's ability to
display the next Package: information.  eg

`catattr COPYRIGHTS /boot/system/apps/AboutSystem`
{{{

Package:        sed
Version:        4.2.1
Copyright:      1989-2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License:        GNU GPL v3

Package:        Flex
}}}

--mmadia