[haiku-development] Re: Questions on using a bash script to modify AboutSystem's COPYRIGHT attribute

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 14:10:25 +0100

On 2010-01-01 at 00:55:01 [+0100], Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> As some of you know, the copyright/license attribution in AboutSystem
> is contained within a Text attribute.
>
> For two scripts (ticket 4680's optional package installer and a
> soon-to-be-made wifi firmware installer), I'd like the ability to add
> the respective copyright information to AboutSystem.

I'm not sure, whether that will be necessary at all. At least the original
plan was to make sure that all software included in an image built by the
build system is credited properly. Software installed later by the user was
considered not to be our problem.

> I'm thinking about creating a 3rd script to facilitate in the
> modification of that attribute -- something that would accept one or
> more <path to .OptionalPackageDescription>.  Most of the functionality
> can be modeled from build/scripts/build_haiku_image. For the newly
> added information, could it simply be appended to the very end of the
> attribute or would it be preferred to insert it alphabetically?

The package descriptions in the attribute aren't sorted anyway, so just
appending would be fine. Since some .OptionalPackageDescription files don't
end in a newline, adding one after each package is a also a good idea.

> Regarding the alphabetical sorting, currently there's two groups:
>  * information specified in AboutSystem.cpp
>  * information harvested from the various .OptionalPackageDescription
> files from installed Optional Packages.
> Should this be reported as a bug or is this intended?

There are two groups, but not the ones you identified: The three "The
{GNU,{Free,Net}BSD} Project" entries and all other entries. Package
descriptions added in AboutSystem itself and those read from the attribute
are treated the same. What is indeed not so nice is that the entries are
sorted in case-sensitive order, which is due to the fact that some lazy
developer just used a std::map<std::string, PackageCredit*>.

CU, Ingo