[haiku-development] Re: Questions on using a bash script to modify AboutSystem's COPYRIGHT attribute

  • From: "Stephan Assmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 14:55:53 +0100

Hi,

Von: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
> As some of you know, the copyright/license attribution in AboutSystem
> is contained within a Text attribute.
>
> For two scripts (ticket 4680's optional package installer and a
> soon-to-be-made wifi firmware installer), I'd like the ability to add
> the respective copyright information to AboutSystem.
>
> I'm thinking about creating a 3rd script to facilitate in the
> modification of that attribute -- something that would accept one or
> more <path to .OptionalPackageDescription>.  Most of the functionality
> can be modeled from build/scripts/build_haiku_image. For the newly
> added information, could it simply be appended to the very end of the
> attribute or would it be preferred to insert it alphabetically?
>
> Regarding the alphabetical sorting, currently there's two groups:
>  * information specified in AboutSystem.cpp
>  * information harvested from the various .OptionalPackageDescription
> files from installed Optional Packages.
> Should this be reported as a bug or is this intended?

My gut feeling is that it should be handled in AboutSystem. That's where the
strings are displayed and intended to be alphabetically sorted, so that's where
the sorting should happen. Appending it to the end should thus be fine.

Thanks for working on these installer related features, btw!

Best regards,
-Stephan